Refereed Journal Publications
1. Strategic Authoritarianism: The Political Cycles and Selectivity of China's Tax-Break Policy.
American Journal of Political Science 64(5), 2021: 845-861 (with Ling Chen). [Appendices] [Replication Files]
2. Projecting Political Power: China's Changing Maritime Strategy.
Chinese Journal of International Politics 12(2), 2019: 229-261 (with Kejin Zhao).
Papers in Progress
1. Commerce, Coalitions, and Global Value Chains: Evidence from Coordinated and Collective Lobbying.
2. The Political Origins of Rules of Origin (with In Song Kim).
3. State Intervention and Corporate Internationalization: Evidence From Chinese Infrastructure Contractors.
4. Strong State, Weak Enforcement: Bureaucratic Forbearance and Regressive Consequences of China’s Social Insurance Policies (with Ye Zhang).
1. Liao, Steven, In Song Kim, Sayumi Miyano, and Hao Zhang. concordance: Concordance Utilities for International Trade Research, available through the Comprehensive R Archive Network and GitHub Repository.
- 2022 International Political Economy Society (IPES) - Annual Meeting, University of Pittsburgh
- 2022 American Political Science Association (APSA) - Annual Meeting, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
- 2022 International Relations Data and Computing Lab, Tsinghua University, Beijing, China
- 2022 Midwest Political Science Association (MPSA) - Annual Meeting, Chicago, IL, U.S.
- 2021 Research Workshop in Political Economy, Department of Government at Harvard University, Cambridge, MA, U.S.
- 2021 Center for Asian Legal Studies Speaker Series, University of British Columbia, Canada
- 2019 Midwest Political Science Association (MPSA) - Annual Meeting, Chicago, IL, U.S.
- 2018 American Political Science Association (APSA) - Annual Meeting, Boston, MA, U.S.
- 2017 UPenn China and International Relations Graduate Student Workshop, Philadelphia, PA, U.S.
- 2017 International Studies Association - West Annual Conference, Pasadena, CA, U.S.
- 2016 Yousei Conference on the Regional Order in Northeast Asia, Seoul, South Korea
- 2016 Third Asian Political Methodology Conference, Beijing, China
- 2014 Forum for American-Chinese Exchange at Stanford, Stanford, CA, U.S.